Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Layout Construction – April 2010

20031008

April was a tough month, with federal taxes and licensing for two vehicles due, there was not a lot of money left for fun. I had enough projects to get through the month without having to spend any money.


050210 027 050210 022
050210 021 050210 024

I had been working on the designs for the Lewistown station that I will eventually scratch build. It seemed like a perfect time to print out the drawings and create a mockup of the building and see how it looked on the layout. Click here to see the actual photos from an earlier post.

050210 028 050210 034 050210 040

This also gave me the opportunity to build three building kits that I had purchased months ago. The stack yard and grain elevator will be located in Denton (Click for map). The grain bin will be part of a set to be located in Geraldine.

helix_2 helix_22

I also spent some time working out a 3D model of the helix that connects the lower and upper levels of the layout. The 3D model allowed me to finalize the design of the supporting structure for the helix and the swing bridges.

helix_23 helix_25

A close-up view of the helix and a view from the lower level heading across the bridge towards the helix.

helix_27 helix_28

Another view with the helix cover in place (brown panels). Are you wondering how you get out of the room with track blocking the door? The last photo should answer that question. The swing bridges have moved out of the way for the door to open.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete