Sunday, February 3, 2013

Layout Construction - Update #3

RDC-3 Budd Car - Great Northern #2350
When I was a child I participated in most things that young people do. Cub Scouts was a great adventure for a young man. One of the events of Cub Scouts that seemed to have an effect on my future as a model railroader was the day we took a ride on a train. That ride went from Great Falls to Havre, Montana. It was on Great Northern's RDC-3 #2350, a combination baggage and passenger car. The RDC-3 was built by the Budd Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Pictured below on the left is #2350 sitting at the Great Northern depot in Great Falls. The photo on the right is the #2350 after being retired it was spotted sitting at the Reading Shops in Reading, Pennsylvania during May of 1974. Left Photo Credit: Unkown - Right Photo Credit: TC Caughman, RailPictures.net











I knew that Proto 1000 had produced a Budd RDC-3 in Great Northern scheme, but I did not purchase it when it first came out. It was one of those things that you want but have to decide if you really need it. When I designed the current layout, passenger operations were something that never occurred to me. Then one night while searching eBay, I came across the #2350 up for bid. I knew I had to have it this time. With a little luck it was mine. I finally got around to adding a DCC decoder and LED lighting to the unit.

Here is a video on YouTube which shows the #2350 traveling from Helena to Butte, Montana.


Let the good times roll!


1 comment: